Description: Wherry (rowboat) built by Captain Asa Smallidge (1832-1904) of Northeast Harbor likely in the 1870s The wherry is of lapstrake constrcuction and is painted white on the outside and grey inside. In the stern is a large U-shaped seating area, and spread between this and the bow are four rowing stations. A hole in the forward most seat appears to have been intended for a mast, but the hull shows no signs of a rudder or centerboard. The metal fittings for oarlocks at the forward-most rowing station have been removed and a piece of wood installed in their place. The center thwart is a recent replacement for an original that was lost . According to family lore, this wherry was used by L. Belle Smallidge (born 1871, later Belle Smallidge Knowles) when she was a young woman and using this wherry, the Smallidge family rowed from Northeast Harbor to Southwest Harbor to attend church services. It was not until 1882 that St. Mary's by the Sea opened in Northeast Harbor. Temporary images [show more]
Description: Engine Order Telegraph Receiver, likely from an engine room, mounted on a mahogany plaque. The receiver is polished brass, and glass covers a painted face. The face appears to have been repainted, and some of this paint has faded. The face is labeled Pierrot, but research has yielded no information about this company.
Description: Framed and mounted photograph of Bunker & Ellis lobster yacht, Rambler. Rambler was the third boat built by Bunker & Ellis for Thomas Reath of Philadelphia and Northeast Harbor, and was launched in 1957. The boat is seen passing a bell bouy painted with the number 15. This image is temporary.
Description: Yachting cap with stitched emblem that incorporates the burgee of Philadelphia's Corinthian Yacht Club on the left (triangular burgee with white background, red cross, and blue corner) and A. Atwater Kent, Jr.'s personal signal flag on the right (red field with a blue K outlined in white). Label inside the hat indicates that it was sold by Zeidel Uniforms of Port Washington, Long Island, New York and West Palm Beach, Florida.
Description: Game board, child, Board game, "Hats Off Bowling Game" with wooden pegs that swivel, bowling balls missing. Copyright MCMXLIV by Transogram Company, Inc. , from Montgomery Ward. Marjorie and Les Phippen's children were Paul, Louise, and one other. They were born on GCI and used to live on GCI year round.
Description: Photos of places, duck hunt, and whale on GCI. A= Bunker Boatyard 1965-1970s, B= Ice in the Creek Feb 12, 1934. C= Ice in the Pool Feb 6, 1934. D= town dock 1940s or 1960?. E= Cranberry Road from Dolly Hill. Duck and geese hunt on the El Pescado. G= Whale washed up on the back of the island (1919?), see report of Dr. Bowditch on Islesford.. H= Raymond Bunker's car on ice in the pool Feb. 12, 1934. I= Unknown car.
Description: Shoes. Ice skates, pair, steel. Heel and toe riveted to blade. No midsection. Three-leaf clover cut-out at toe. Flat cotton band with buckle is riveted to toe; band with buckle is looped through slots in the metal heel. One heel has leather strap. Imprinted on toe: "No 52 9 1/2". On blade: "CAST (three-leaf clover imprint) (illegible next word) SKATES."
Description: Shoes. Ice skates, steel parts. Four-leaf flower cut-out at toe. Turnbuckle and lever to adjust length and width. Marking on heel lever "B&B". On blade: "HARDENED". On midsole: "10" and "PATENTED FEB 12 1884, MAR 1 1887, AUG 12 1890."
Description: Shoes. Ice skates, pair, wood shoe bottom with metal blade inserted lengthwise along bottom, curved up at toe and secured by a threaded screw at heel and toe. Leather strap at toe inserted through slot in the wood; rope inserted through two slots at heel. Pointed end of screw protrudes at heel and one toe. This pair of ice skates was found in the barn at Ruth "Robin" Freeman's house.
Description: One stained-glass pair of ice skaters arm-in-arm: blue, red, purple, yellow, black, and white glass with lead joints; made by Georgina "Georgie" Ware, with lead loops on either side to hang in a window. The Ware house was on Murray's Point (GCI) and her glass studio was across the lane from her house.
Description: Contains brief written descriptions of activities, accommodations, and more. No date given, but mentions the Building of Arts, USN Radio Station at Otter Cliffs.
Description: Single page folded Annual Report of the Maine Recreation Authority and a 16 page booklet, unstapled, explaining the program and legal authority for the organization to fund construction and expansion of recreational facilities in Maine. Part of LaRue Spiker Collection Previously archived as object id 012.FIC.058.6
Description: Trophy - Hancock County Champions Trophy Champions listed on the trophy: -Ellsworth High 1931 -Winter Harbor High 1932-1934 -Mount Desert High 1935 -Gilman High 1936 -Bucksport High 1937 -Bar Harbor High 1938
Description: Horse-shoe life ring from Daybreak, a Hinckley sailboat owned by Harry R. Madeira, and sailed out of Northeast Harbor. The boat's name "Daybreak" is painted on the front in gold paint, and the Madeira signal flag and Northeast Harbor Fleet burgee appear below. On the edge of the buoy is a stamped label with the brand "Horseshoe Jim-Buoy", and other illegible information. The back is unadorned
Description: Group of men in camp. In background, tents, to right clothes drying, to left dog sitting on towel. Man on left sitting on rocks holding axe. Second from left, William A. Caughey, seated on ground, Jospeh H. Caughey, standing with fish net, third from right, William Caughey, gray beard, wearing dark suit. Man second from right, weraing brown or gray shirt, suspenders, dark pants seated on rock. Man on far right sits under laundry. Marked on back, “Geo. H. Van Norman, Photographer, 645 Main St. Waltham, Mass.” Also Marked, Property of Philip M. Caughey. [show more]
Description: Group of men in camp. In background, tents, to right clothes drying, to left dog sitting on towel. Man on left sitting on rocks holding axe. Second from left, William A. Caughly, seated on ground, Jospeh H. Caughey, standing with fish net, third from right, William Caughey, gray beard, wearing dark suit. Man second from right, weraing brown or gray shirt, suspenders, dark pants seated on rock. Man on far right sits under laundry. Marked on back, “Geo. H. Van Norman, Photographer, 645 Main St. Waltham, Mass.” Also Marked, Property of Philip M. Caughey. [show more]
Description: Mount Desert High School (in Somesville) Boys Basketball team 1934-35. Eight uniformed players, one boy in sweater, man in suit. Five seated, five standing. Players wear sleeveless uniform shirts and shorts with dark sneakers.
Description: 5 X 7 black and white photograph of unknown runners in a foot race down Main Street Southwest Harbor. Lawrence Robinson Real Estate and Insurance and McEachern and Hutchins in the background.